Object Title

Shaffron

Shaffron

Date

1470

Object Number

VI.375

Provenance

Purchased from the National Magazine Co. (William Randolph Hearst Collection) October 1952, with the help of the Pilgrim Trust, the National Art Collections Fund and a special Exchequer Grant. one of 52 items purchased together. From the Trapp Armoury, Schloss Churburg; purchased for the Hearst collection at Galerie Fischer, Luzern, 2 May 1934

Physical Description

Of simple slender form, with chevron fluting on lower part. Bright. Made in one piece with the exception of the ear-pieces which are attached by rivets. The lower half has a flattened central ridge with downward spreading chevron-like flutes on either side. There is a hole in the forehead for the bolt of the escutcheon and another above for the attachment of the plume-holder, both now missing. The crest plate is preserved. A small side-piece is attached by leathers immediately below the left ear, the corresponding plate on the right being absent. The chanfron retains its original lining of linen backed with canvas, covering the whole of the inner side with the exception of the earpieces.

Featured in

Hundred Years War

Dimensions

Dimensions: Height: 675mm; width: 280mm; depth: 180mm Weight: 1134g ( 2 lb 8 oz)

Inscriptions and Marks

none

Associations

Bibliographic References

A.R. Dufty and W. Reid, European Armour in the Tower of London, 1968, plate CXLIV.

C. Paggiarino, The Royal Armouries, masterpieces of medieval and renaissance arms and armour, Milan, 2011, volume 1