Object Title

Right pauldron

Right pauldron

Date

1500

Object Number

III.1124

Provenance

Transferred from the Rotunda Museum of Artillery, Woolwich, 1927. From Rhodes, acquired by Sir J. Lefroy 1867.

Physical Description

Of rounded form, with a cut out at the front of the armpit, and extending at the rear just over the shoulder-blade. It is composed of a main plate, with four subsidiary lames overlapping downwards at the rear, three lames overlapping upward above, and five lames overlapping downwards below.


The main lame is cut and depressed at the front of the armpit, leaving a rounded projection at the top. At the lower end of the front edge is a rectangular notch. The lower edge is slightly concave and there is a very slight medial ridge that is continued onto the lames above and below. To the rear of, and slightly in front of the ridge, the lower half of the plate is cut away, and the upper half continues to the rear, narrowing slightly. The four subsidiary lames are curved at the rear, and the lower one has a sharply arched lower edge which meets, in front of the ridge, that of the main plate. The lames are riveted solidly at the front, and articulated on a single leather towards the rear, as well as on sliding rivets operating in cusps at the lower edges within. Just in front of the ridge at the upper edge is a square slot, which with the notch in the lower edge may have been location points for a separate gardbrace with haute-piece now lost.


The three lames above are of even height, with obliquely cut terminals where their lower edges are cusped to receive the rivets which connect them to the main plate and to one another. The lower lame of this group is notched beside the square slot in the main plate. The upper lame is pierced with two holes for arming points; its upper edge has an angular inwardly turn.


The lower lames which cover the upper arm are curved to it, and are narrow, widening at the centre, where they are drawn up into elongated lobes cut with slots for sliding rivets. The lobes are staggered to permit articulation. They are articulated by modern leathers at the front and rear, the upper terminals of the leathers riveted at the front to the main plate, and at the rear to the lower subsidiary lame on a modern internal repair. The medial rivets have flat circular internal heads, either plain or stamped with rosettes. The main edge of the lower lame has an angular outward turn. There is one rivet for a strap around the arm.


The front articulating rivet of the middle of the upper lames has been relocated, leaving the original hole empty. The leathers and their rivets are replacements, and the following other rivets are replacements: the centre rivet of the lame below the main plate; both rivets of the middle two subsidiary lames of the main plate, and the rear rivet of the lame above these. There are modern internal riveted repairs to the front and both upper corners of the lower lame and that above it, this with another at the centre, the rear terminal of the third and fourth lames from the bottom, and the centre part of the lower subsidiary lame.


Metallurgy: This is a wrought iron containing only ferrite and a high proportion of slag.

Dimensions

Dimensions: height 228 mm, width 252 mm, depth 187 mm Weight: 1020 g

Inscriptions and Marks

The pauldron was reunited from two Woolwich pieces, and is struck at the lower subsidiary lame of the main plate MA 2358, and at the front of the lame below the main plate MA 2359. At the rear of the main plate is struck a maker's mark, B and A flanking a twisted knot, surmounted by a crown with three fleurons.

Associations

Bibliographic References

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1873: 140, MA 2358-9

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1889: 150, no. 16/273-4

W J Karcheski Jr and T Richardson, The medieval armour from Rhodes, Leeds, Royal Armouries 2000: no. 7.7

Notes

The rounded form of this pauldron is comparable to a Western European example in Helmingham hall, Suffolk. Its construction is most unusual.