Object Title

Left lower cannon of a vambrace

Left lower cannon of a vambrace

Date

1500

Object Number

III.1111

Provenance

Transferred from the Rotunda Museum of Artillery, Woolwich, 1927. From Rhodes, acquired by Sir J Lefroy 1867.

Physical Description

Pair to III.1112. Made of two plates, almost cylindrical, tapering slightly to the straight cuff. The pieces are joined at the outer face by a squarish hinge at either end, and fastened at the rear by a strap from the inside of the inner plate engaging a modern buckle on the outer plate of the left, and an old, possibly associated, buckle on the right defence. The main edge of each plate at the cuff has an angular, almost boxed outward turn; the other edges are plain. At the upper end of the outside plate is a modern leather tab pierced for a pair of arming points.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Height 210 mm, diameter 115 mm Weight: 400 g

Inscriptions and Marks

At the upper edge of the outer plate is stamped the Rotunda number (MA)23(?)21.

Associations

Bibliographic References

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1873: 140, MA 2321

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1889: 150, no. 16/260

A R Dufty and W Reid, European Armour in the Tower of London, 1968, plate VI.

W J Karcheski Jr and T Richardson, The medieval armour from Rhodes, Leeds, Royal Armouries 2000: no. 7.10

Notes

These defences should be compared to late fifteenth/early sixteenth century Italian vambraces alla tedesca, for example, B5 from the Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie (Boccia 1982: pl. 360-1, 372k, 373l). A non-Italian origin is also possible; a South German armour from the Sanctuary, no. B9, is very similar in form (Boccia 1982: pl. 405-13, e, f).