Object Title

Right couter

Right couter

Date

1495

Object Number

III.1115

Provenance

Transferred from the Rotunda Museum of Artillery, Woolwich, 1927. From Rhodes, acquired by Sir J Lefroy 1867.

Physical Description

Made of one large piece, and curving well into the elbow, with a deep V-shaped pucker. It is smoothly rounded over the point of the elbow, with a very slight lateral ridge from the end of the pucker. The rear edge is vertical, and extends well inside the point of the elbow.


Above and below the ridge, at the centre front, are two pairs of holes, probably once fitted with eyelets, for arming points from the vambrace. On the ridge, to the inside of these holes, a modern buckle and bifurcated strap is attached to the rear by four rivets.


There is a contemporary repair in the form of a roughly crescent-shaped welded patch at the point of the elbow. At the front, on the lower edge, is a modern internal riveted repair.


Metallurgy: This is a low carbon steel which has not been hardened. Its microstructure contains ferrite and pearlite (perhaps 0.2% C) and numerous slag inclusions.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Height 210 mm, width 155 mm, depth 155 mm Weight: 455 g

Inscriptions and Marks

At the upper edge above the elbow is stamped the maker's mark, ROM ROM surmounted by an orb adn cross, attributed to Romain des Ursins. At the front, near the lower edge, is the Rotunda number, MA 2324 surmounted by a cannon.

Associations

Bibliographic References

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1873: 140, MA 2324

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1889: 150, no. 16/264

A V B Norman, 'A pauldron in the Scott Collection', Scottish Art Review VII 1960: 8-11, 30

A R Dufty and W Reid, European Armour in the Tower of London, 1968: plate VI

W J Karcheski Jr and T Richardson, The medieval armour from Rhodes, Leeds, Royal Armouries 2000: no. 9.5

Notes

The same mark appears on the Scott pauldron, Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum no. '39-65o; the right pauldron of the composite Gothic armour ex Spitzer and Dino collections (A2), the ex-Dino shaffron E1, and another shaffron, all now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, nos 04.3293, 253 and 14.25.1661; two more formerly in the Luigi Marzoli collection; the crupper of the horse armour modified for Louis XIII, and possibly also an element of G3, both in the Musée de l'Armée, Paris (Reverseau 1982b: 98-101, pl. 61); and the bevor of a privately owned armour (Closs 1931: 249). A somewhat larger version of this cowter is found on the left arm of St. Canute in the Bonkil Panels ['Trinity Altarpiece'] by Hugo van der Goes, about 1478-80 in the collection of H M the Queen (Cutter 1968: 157, fig. 192).