Object Title

Wrapper

Wrapper

Date

1500-1510

Object Number

III.1147

Provenance

Transferred from the Rotunda Museum of Artillery, Woolwich, 1927. From Rhodes, acquired by Sir J Lefroy 1867.

Physical Description

Composed of four plates. The upper plate has a low medial ridge which continues on the lames below, and is shaped to fit the chin and lower sides of an armet. The plain upper edge curves up sharply at either side from just below the mouth to blunt points at the level of the visor pivots. The rear edge is straight, and fitted at the right of the neck with a flat-headed rivet for the leather securing strap, and a rivet hole at the left. The lower edge has a narrow flange.


Riveted to the flange is the uppermost of three gorget lames which overlap upwards. These are of the same depth, widening to their centres. They are articulated by rivets at the sides; one original rivet, round-headed with a rectangular internal washer, survives at the right of the upper lame. The lower lame has been pierced at either side of the lower edge with keyhole-shaped slots.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Height: 150 mm; depth: 185 mm; width: 198 mm Weight: 680 g

Inscriptions and Marks

At the upper right terminal of the main plate is stamped the Rotunda number MA 2293 surmounted by a cannon.

Associations

Bibliographic References

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1873: 139, MA 2293.

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1889: 149, no. 16/224

W J Karcheski Jr and T Richardson, The medieval armour from Rhodes, Leeds, Royal Armouries 2000: no. 1.7

Notes

Most Italian wrappers for armets of this period are much higher, covering most of the face; compare also from Rhodes St. John's Gate Museum number 2643 (catalogue number 1.3), and the wrapper of the armour B2 in the Sanctuary Boccia 1982: figs 256-94. Comparable artistic representations include the painting of Frederico da Montefelto, Duke of Urbino, by Berruguete, about 1475, in the ducal palace, Urbino (Boccia 1982: fig. 122); a funerary effigy of Francesca Anfaro (d. 1516) at S. Lorenzo Maggiore, Naples (Boccia 1982: fig. 178); and a painting of Le Sacre de David, Amiens, about 1501, in the Musée de Cluny, Paris. A wrapper of this type survives on Turin Armeria Reale B19, an incomplete composite Italian armour of about 1510 whose armet bears a crowned ME mark (Boccia 1982: 288, fig. 180; Mazzini 1982: 322-3, pl. 1).