Object Title

Flintlock muzzle-loading pistol - Phillipe D'Auvergne Pattern

Flintlock muzzle-loading pistol - Phillipe D'Auvergne Pattern

Date

about 1796

Object Number

XII.846

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

Brass barrel with a flat on the upper surface at the breech and stamped with Government proof-marks and engraved with the makers name D. EGG LONDON. Locks with convex lockplate and swan-necked cock, engraved with Royal cypher, D.Egg. Brass mounts including a small butt-cap and a double throat ramrod pipe. Ramrod with brass tip and steel worm.

Techniques

Handmade, Engraved

Materials

Dimensions

OverallHeight6.1in.
OverallHeight155mm
OverallLength325mm
OverallWeight0.715kg
OverallWeight1.58lb oz
OverallWidth1.9in.
OverallWidth50mm
OveralLength12.8in.
BarrelLength7in.
BarrelLength178mm

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number None Visible visible

Calibre

.580 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Store Keeper's mark
Crown over GR 1?78
Stock
Stamped
Royal Cypher
Crown over GR
Lockplate
Engraved
Military acceptance mark
Crown over broad arrow
Stock
Stamped
Acceptance marks
Crown over crossed swords
Barrel
Stamped
Maker
D.EGG LONDON
Barrel
Engraved
Maker
D.EGG
Lockplate
Engraved

Associations

Notes

Philip d'Auvergne, 'Prince de Bouillon', was a Captain of the Royal Navy, stationed in the Channel Islands and responsible for communications between the British Government and the French Royalists.
200 pairs of these pistols were made by Durs Egg and Henry Nock at 48 shillings a pair.