Object Title

Flintlock muzzle-loading pistol - Phillipe D'Auvergne Pattern

Flintlock muzzle-loading pistol - Phillipe D'Auvergne Pattern

Date

about 1796

Object Number

XII.841

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

Brass barrel with a flat on the upper surface at the breech and stamped with Government proof-marks and the Mark of the contractor Henry Nock. Locks with convex lockplate and swan-necked cock, engraved with Royal cypher, TOWER and NOCK. Brass mounts including a small butt-cap and a double throat ramrod pipe. Ramrod is missing.

Techniques

Handmade, Engraved

Materials

Dimensions

OverallLength12.8 in.
OverallLength325 mm
OverallWeight0.68 kg
OverallWeight1.5 lb oz
BarrelLength7 in.
BarrelLength178 mm

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number None Visible visible

Calibre

.580 in (24 bore)

Inscriptions and Marks

Store Keeper's mark
Crown over ?
Stock
Stamped
Royal Cypher
Crown over GR
Lockplate
Engraved
Acceptance marks
Crown over crossed swords
Barrel
Stamped
Maker
HN
Barrel
Stamped
Maker
Nock
Lockplate
Engraved
Place
TOWER
Lockplate
Engraved

Associations

Notes

Philip d'Auvergne, 'Prince de Bouillon', was a Captain of the Royal Navy, stationed in the Channel Islands and responsible for communications between the British Government and the French Royalists.
200 pairs of these pistols were made by Durs Egg and Henry Nock at 48 shillings a pair.