Object Title

Right gauntlet

Right gauntlet

Date

1510-1515

Object Number

III.1106

Provenance

Transferred from the Rotunda Museum of Artillery, Woolwich, 1927. From Rhodes, acquired by Sir J. Lefroy 1867.

Physical Description

Comprising a cuff and two metacarpal lames. The cuff is short and flared, with a point on the outside. It is made of one piece, with a seam closed by three rivets on the inside, and of boxed section with four facets on the outside. The main edge is inwardly turned, with two shallow sunken borders, the upper broad, the lower narrow, which extend only around the outside. Below these bands is a row of nine flush lining rivets for the attachment of a glove, for which only six survive. The wrist is encircled by four incised lines. At the lower edge, the cuff flares where it is embossed for the thumb, and the edge is plain. Two metacarpal lames and preserved, and overlap upwards. Each is narrow, and articulated by a rivet in a shallow, angular lobe at either side. The subsidiary edges are cut in small scallops, and bordered by thin, double incised lines. The articulating rivets are flush, with large, flat internal heads.


The main edge of the cuff is damaged at the point. The rivet hole for the thumb piece has been broken away. The rear rivet of the lower metacarpal lame is missing.

Dimensions

Dimensions: height 180 mm, cuff width 138 mm Weight: 265 g

Inscriptions and Marks

At the outside centre of the cuff is stamped the Rotunda number MA 2323

Associations

Bibliographic References

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1874: 140, MA 2323

Official Catalogue of the Museum of Artillery in the Rotunda, Woolwich, London, 1889: 150, no. 16.254

W J Karcheski Jr and T Richardson, The medieval armour from Rhodes, Leeds, Royal Armouries 2000: no. 7.22

Notes

Comparable pieces include a gauntlet from Rhodes, now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art (catalogue number 7.24), another from the Sanctuary no. B34, dated by Boccia to 1500-5 (1982: fig. 517); one in the Museo Stibbert, Florence, no. 2915 (Boccia 1975: 82, fig. 137); and those of an armour for foot combat, by Niccol? da Silva, about 1515, in the Musée de l'Armée, Paris (Reverseau 1982a: 121, fig. 7). Compare the fluting to that on the arm and upper leg harness of a composite 'Spanish' armour exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1911 (Dean 1911: no. 3; this extensively restored armour is from the Duke of Osuna, Conde del Asalto, Ambrose Monell and George F Harding Jr. collections, and was later transferred to the Art Institute of Chicago where some portions remain, including the cowters, nos 1982.2597a-b and the bevor, no. 1982.2528.)