Object Title

24 pr gun and carriage

24 pr gun and carriage

Date

1790-1810

Object Number

XIX.721

Provenance

This gun was excavated outside the ramparts of Prince Edwards Battery in the area of the Commando Course in 1984. On loan to The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. (L93) (1991). Prince Henry's Demi-Bastion. Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

George III. Base ring quarter scale sights 1-3. Broad Arrow and copper vent. Breeching loop marked CV C. Marked below cascabel 50-0-0. On replica traversing carriage, dated 1988

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 113 in, Diameter of trunnions: 5.75 in, Diameter of muzzle: 15 in, Diameter of breech: 21 in

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 236

Calibre

5.75 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: L Right trunnion: 236

Associations

Places England

Notes

Original photographs show this actual gun mounted on a Traversing Siege Carriage in Prince Henry's Demi-Bastion at Plymouth. The letter L (Low Moor) on the trunnions was the mark of Dawson & Company Contractors to the Board of Ordnance for the supply of cast-iron guns and mortars. Joseph Dawson, one of the most remarkable of ironmasters and a Congregational minister who paid his workmen on Sunday before going into the pulpit, established the iron smelting works at Low Moor, near Bradford, in 1789 and began producing cast-iron ordnance and ammunition in 1795. Production of this form of armament continued until the introduction of steel barrels after the Crimean War.