Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20 Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25 Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30 Page 31 Page 32 Page 33 Page 34 Page 35 Page 36 Page 37 Page 38 Page 39 Page 40 Page 41 Page 42 Page 43 Page 44 Page 45 Page 46 Page 47 Page 486 The security of the walls made it conyenient as a State prison, the first known prisoner being Ralf Flambard, Bishop of Durham, who had been active.under William Rufus in pushing on the buildings. From that time the Tower was seldom without some captive, English or foreign, of rank and importance. In the Tudor period the "Green " withi.n the Tower was used on very rare occasions for executions.• Condemned prisonerl:i were usually beheaded on Tower Hill. Emerging from the .M_ark Lane railway station, the visitor obtains an excellent view of the great fortress. Within the railed space of Trinity Square the first permanent scaffold on .Tower Hill was set up in the reign of Edward III, but the first execution recorded here was that of Sir Simon Burley in 1388. Here also were beheaded, among others, Dudley, the minister of Henry VII (1510), his son the Duke of Northumberland (1553), his grandson, Lord Guildford Dudley (1554), Cromwell, Earl of Essex (1540), More and Fisher (1535), Surrey (1547), and his son Norfolk (1572), Strafford (1641), and Archbishop Laud (1645), and the Scotch Lords in 1716, 1746, and 1747, the last being Simon, Lord Lovat. 'lhe Tower moat is immediately before us. It is drained and used as a parade ground. Beyond it, as we approach the entrance, we have a good view of the fortifications. On the extreme left are the Brass Mount and North Bastions. In the middle is Legge's Mount. To the right is the entrance gateway. The highest building behind is the White Tower, easily distinguished by its four turrets. In front of it are the Devereux, Beauchamp, and Bell Towers, the residences of the Lieutenant of the Tower and uf the Yeoman Gaoler being in the gabled and red tiled houses between the last two. From one of these windows Lady Jane Grey • See page 33.