Council of Ordnance

Object Title

Council of Ordnance

Council of Ordnance

Date

1869-81

Reference

OCOU

Level

Collection

Access Conditions

Open access

Reproduction Conditions

Crown Copyright

Administrative / Biographical History

Established in 1869 after the abolition of the Ordnance Select Committee the Council of Ordnance was made up entirely of part-time members. The detailed work of trials and experiments was done by ten ad hoc committees: On Explosive Substances (created May 1869), On Stores and Fitments in Magazines (Created Nov. 1870), On Mounting and Working of Heavy Rifled Guns (June 1872), On Range Finders for Field and Coast Batteries (Dec. 1872), On Transport and Storage of Gunpowder and Guncotton (Nov. 1874), On Siege Carriages (Feb. 1878), On Ordnance (July 1879), On Machine Guns and Machine Arms (Feb. 1879), On Friction Tubes (May 1880) and On Rockets (no date of appointment given). The ten sub committees were abolished in 1881, but the Council continued as a major inventions Board until 1908.