Vickers Limited, Company Records

Object Title

Vickers Limited, Company Records

Vickers Limited, Company Records

Date

1895 - 1929

Reference

VICK 1

Level

Collection

Scope and Content

A number of ledgers consisting of:

1) B 211: Registered numbers of gun mountings, 1899 - ? (sometime after 1917). Starts at no. 4062 and ends at no. 36314. 32 x 21 x 3 cm, hardback ledger with navy blue with red binding,
2) Register of Guns: M.N.G and A.Co.Ld. No. 2 (37mm Maxim Automatic), 1895-1916. Lists machine guns made under contract from Maxim and Accles. 32 x 21 x 3 cm, hardback ledger, with dark green cover and binding repaired with black duct tape,
3) Armstrong Whitworth Colt: Machine Gun Records, 1925-1929. Lists .303 aircraft and water-cooled, .5 aircraft and water-cooled, 7.9mm aircraft and water-cooled, 8mm, 6.5mm, 37mm, 40mm and .8 inch. 32 x 21 x 1.5 cm, hardback ledger with light brown with brown binding and a cutout of a machine gun on the front cover,
4) Guns Built Up No. 28, 1917-1918. Lists the construction of howitzers with a breakdown of the individual piece numbers, the date of building up and the destination. 24 x 21 x 5 cm, hardback ledger with dark green and dark brown binding and corners,
5) Volume 10: R.C. Gun Register: Erith, 13/07/1918 - 26/10/1918. Lists from nos. H.1 to H.5116. 32 x 21 x 1 cm hardback ledger with marbled cover,
6) Volume 11: R.C. Gun Register: Erith, 26/10/1918 - 08/03/1919. List from nos. H.5117 to H.9999. 32 x 21 x 1 cm hardback ledger with marbled cover,
7) Volume 12: R.C. Gun Register: Crayford, 24/05/1918 - 19/09/1918. Lists from nos. F1 to F.9999. 32 x 21 x 1 cm hardback ledger with marbled cover,
8) Volume 14: R.C. Gun Register: Erith, 30/11/1918 - 08/03/1919. Lists from nos. K.1 To K.1284. 32 x 21 x 1 cm hardback ledger with marbled cover,
9) Volume 15: R.C. Gun Register: Crayford, 20/01/1919 - 14/05/1919. Lists from nos. A.1 to A.9999. 32 x 21 x 1 cm hardback ledger with marbled cover,
10) Volume 16: R.C. 18 pdr Gun Register, 1919-1921. Lists from nos. 12617 to 13844. 32 x 21 x 1 cm hardback ledger with marbled cover,
11) Volume 17: R.C. 18 pdr Gun Register, undated. Lists from nos. 13845 to 13860. 32 x 21 x 1 cm hardback ledger with marbled cover,
12) No title, 01/12/1900 - 24/09/1919. 32 x 21 x 5 cm hardback ledger, the spine lost leaving binding exposed,
13) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 1, 18/04/1883 - 07/11/1911. Lists from nos. 1 to 7676. 32 x 21 x 6 cm hardback ledger with navy blue with red binding,
14) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 2, 02/03/1904 - 13/12/1916. Lists from Nos. 7677 to 16244. 32 x 21 x 6 cm hardback ledger with navy blue with red binding,
15) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 3, 19/06/1915 - 23/04/1917. Lists from nos. 16245 to 25876. 35 x 23 x 6.5 cm hardback ledger. Black,
16) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 4, 09/02/1916 - 16/06/1917. Lists from nos. 25877 to 35508. 35 x 23 x 6.5 cm hardback ledger. Black,
17) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 5, 23/01/1917 - 25/08/1917. Lists from nos. 35509 to 45140. 35 x 23 x 6.5 cm hardback ledger. Black,
18) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 6. Lists from nos. 43141 to 54772. 35 x 23 x 6.5 cm hardback ledger. Black,
19) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 7. Lists from nos. 54773 to 64372. 35 x 23 x 6.5 cm hardback ledger. Black,
20) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 8. Lists from nos. 64373 to 73972. 35 x 23 x 6.5 cm hardback ledger. Black,
21) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 9. Lists from nos. 73973 to 83572. 35 x 23 x 6.5 cm hardback ledger. Black,
22) Register of Guns under 4 inches: Volume 10. Lists from nos. 83573 to 88982. 35 x 23 x 7 cm hardback ledger. Black. The spine is partly detached

Extent

22 volumes

Access Conditions

Open access

Administrative / Biographical History

Vickers was formed in Sheffield as a steel foundry by the miller, Edward Vickers, and his father-in-law, George Naylor, in 1828. Naylor was a partner in the foundry Naylor and Sanderson and Vickers' brother William owned a steel rolling operation. Edward's investments in the railway industry allowed him to gain control of the company, based at Millsands and known as Naylor Vickers and Company. It began life making steel castings and quickly became famous for casting church bells. In 1854 Vickers' sons Thomas and Albert joined the business. In 1863 the company moved to a new site in Sheffield on the River Don in Brightside&&&Vickers, Sons and Company Limited was formed in 1867. It was based initially in Sheffield, where the head office was attached to the steelworks at the River Don Works. In its early years the company concentrated on the production of high quality steel castings. In 1868 Vickers began to manufacture marine shafts, in 1872 they began casting marine propellers and in 1882 they set up a forging press. Vickers artillery piece in 1890&&&It bought out the Barrow in Furness shipbuilder The Barrow Shipbuilding Company in 1897, acquiring its subsidiary the Maxim Nordenfelt Guns And Ammunitions Company[1] at the same time, to become Vickers, Sons & Maxim. The yard at Barrow became the 'Naval Construction Yard'. With these acquisitions, Vickers could now produce a complete selection of products, from ships and marine fittings to armour plate and a whole suite of ordnance.The company did not have a London address until it acquired the Maxim Nordenfelt Guns and Ammunition Company Ltd in 1897, and inherited a suite of offices at 32 Victoria Street&&&By the start of the twentieth century, however, it was producing a wide range of military equipment. In 1901 the Royal Navy's first submarine, Holland 1, was launched at the Naval Construction Yard. In 1902 Vickers took a half share in the famous Clyde shipyard John Brown and Company. Further diversification occurred in 1901 with the purchase of Herbert Austin's embryo car manufacturing plans, and Austin himself, from The Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Company. The new business was incorporated and named The Wolseley Tool and Motor Car Company and works were purchased at Adderley Park&&&In 1911 a controlling interest was acquired in Whitehead and Company, the torpedo manufacturers. In 1911, the company name was changed to Vickers Limited and expanded its operations into aircraft manufacture by the formation of Vickers Ltd (Aviation Department). By this time there was a need for a stronger presence near Whitehall, which had become the company's major customer, and the head office moved from Sheffield to extensive premises in Broadway, Westminster, which were named Vickers House. During these years the company developed a wide variety of military aircraft, and it was a Vickers Vimy that completed the first non-stop Atlantic crossing in 1919. The British Westinghouse electrical company was taken over as the Metropolitan-Vickers Electrical Company; Metrovick. At the same time they came into Metropolitan's railway interests. Wolseley now Wolseley Motors was sold to William Morris in mid-November 1926 who retained it as his personal property&&&In 1927 Vickers merged with the greater part of the company Armstrong-Whitworth of Newcastle to form Vickers-Armstrong. Armstrong's had been formed by W.G. Armstrong, later Lord Armstrong, who established an engineering works on Tyneside in 1847 to manufacture his newly-invented hydraulic machinery. The firm had developed on similar lines to Vickers, producing a range of different guns, before expanding into naval ships and the car and truck business. It had become (Sir W.G.) Armstrong, Whitworth & Company Ltd (or Armstrong-Whitworth) following a merger with the business of Sir Joseph Whitworth in 1897&&&[Based on Wikipedia 15/2/2013]

Associations

Creator(s) Vickers Limited